Literary Smackdown!!!

A site where short fiction can be published, read and voted for every month.
Every month there will be a new topic that each story must stem from. If you want to post a story, send it to literarysmackdown@gmail.com...and if you want to vote on a story, you can do it in the comments section of that story. 1=bad, 10=good. Check out January archives for details.
MAY'S TOPIC: forthcoming....

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

In the Waning Days of March, a Final Entreaty for Score-Giving

Hola, Literary Smackdowners! As March draws to a close, and the limp-elbowed slap fight that is the Smackdown approaches its conclusion, I would like to quickly remind you guys that there are only three days left in the month, and then we've got to tally the votes and calculate the averages. Lots of you have weighed in and given scores to the combatants, (which is great), but a lot of entries remain relatively score-poor. If you can rate the stories you haven't gotten to yet in the next few days, awesome, if you can't, that's fine, too. Just want to have every voice heard if possible. This was a much better turn-out than I expected this month, and I'm hoping that April's Smackdown garners even more interest. It was great to read everyone's entry.

Also, in the comments section of this post, please post up any suggestions you might have on how the Smackdown goes next month, specifically as it relates to voting. If you have any comments on how it's run currently, or ideas for improvements in the coming months, please write in. If you love it love it love it, write that. All right. That's it.

Next post: the winners.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenna said...

I do have a suggestion for helping the judging process, but you suffer the probability that the more rules you insist on, the less of an edgy, flippant, procacious, smackdown area the site becomes. If I was trying to improve it for a school or literary organization, I’d say:
a) insist that the entrants must judge all other pieces or their own entries become disqualified.
b) give 3 pieces of judging criteria to each challenge (these should change depending on the challenge) – that gives the writer something to focus on when he (or she) writes, and gives the judge qualifications other than (did I like it or not) to use when he (or she) judges.

I don’t care if you use those suggestions or not, I’ll still participate. The one thing that does bug me is all the anonymousi. I don’t care if people are anonymous or not, I just want to be able to follow their thread. I want to know if anonymous in one comment is the same anonymous in another. Or also, if anonymous is actually the anonymous that entered the challenge. Can we suggest that people pick a pseudonym and use that instead when leaving comments? Like "flying donkey" or "jersey barbell" or something totally inane.

I feel that Nate's ego needs stroking, so, I'll kiss some ass...I think the Literary Smackdown is great! I love your idea for this blog. I'm really enjoying participating. If you can keep the interest up and generate more, you even have a chance to make it into something...take it private (off blogger) and commercialize (profitize and add advertisements). But, beware, the larger it grows, the more you have to control it and maintain it. And (another warning) any content rich site usually becomes p.c. in the end and you'll lose the original feel and original contributors. Keep your eye on the ball!

9:21 AM  
Blogger Team Manager said...

Hear, hear, Jenna. I totally agree about the anonymous aspect. In fact I have vented the same sentiments to a few people in the past couple of days. I don't see a problem with anonymous entries but I think anonymous judging should be outlawed. I like your suggestion of using pseudonyms because if Nate just blocks anonymous as an option it is probable that some people would not participate. Personally though, I think you should comment like you got a pair :)

I also agree with having some criteria for the judging, it would make things a lot easier and consisitent as a judge.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Team Manager said...

Let me also add that I LOVE this blog. I don't even know why I love it so much, because I am not well read by any means and I can't even imagine ever submitting an entry. I guess I can appreciate it for the creative outlet that it is. Here's to an even bigger turnout in April.

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

keep the smiggity smack on the literary track! i like all the anonymouses. sure it can be a bitch to keep track of'm. i know i don't. i can't even remember which ones are mine half the time. but i like'm.

next month...i promise to go public.

we need more smackdown. some real shit talking. LET'S TEAR IT UP! winning a can of dog food would ROCK!

i think the free flow of read/judge/write what you want gives it a more SMACKDOWN quailty. if i don't get many scores or comments, then i guess i didn't deserve them. that's a smack attack if my writing's wack all by itself.

i don't like how as you add more stories, older ones go away. you can expand the number of entries on the first page. change settings>formatting>show

don't get TOO big, or the WWE will come after you for trademark violations.

and finally, i'd like to say....
SUCK ON IT!

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker