Literary Smackdown!!!

A site where short fiction can be published, read and voted for every month.
Every month there will be a new topic that each story must stem from. If you want to post a story, send it to literarysmackdown@gmail.com...and if you want to vote on a story, you can do it in the comments section of that story. 1=bad, 10=good. Check out January archives for details.
MAY'S TOPIC: forthcoming....

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Abe Jacquot, Currently Laying the Smackdown in Iraq, Stoops to Conquer a New Theater of War: The Literary Smackdown

This is Abe Jacquot. He's an old friend of Literary Smackdown founder and proprietor, Nathan Hines, frequent commenter on this blog, and, up 'till today, a non-combatant in our month-old "literary" battling. Currently serving our country in Iraq, Abe has decided to show that his pen is as mighty as his sword by penning his own entry for this month's Smackdown. Entitled "Cold Feet", Abe introduces us to yet another young man who's dealing with the hard facts of murder while looking at a lake. Who wouldn't head down to the lake after offing someone? I mean, really? At any rate, this makes four, count 'em FOUR entries for the March Smackdown. A new record. Maybe next month it'll be five. Enough blather. On with the show. (PS: I would have cropped the photo but Photoshop wouldn't let me on account of the file type. I think it's interesting anyway: a writer in his natural environment. On to "Cold Feet".)

Cold Feet
by Abraham Jacquot

Why is it that this lake seems so different to me now? Has it changed or have I? Maybe I am seeing it through a different man’s eyes. Maybe I am losing my mind. Is this what it feels like to lose one's mind? They say that if you think that you might be going crazy, it is a good sign that you are sane. What the fuck do they know? I’m not crazy.

Did I clean behind the toilet? Did I mail off that check for the parking ticket? I know she never went in the bathroom but … aw shit my feet are wet. You must have gotten lost for a minute there and wandered into the water. Lost! That’s funny. Lost in thought. Pull it together Jake. You are knee deep in this fucking lake and people are going to start staring soon. What people? There are no people. You have all your clothes on for Christ sake. Do sane people wade around, knee deep in a lake in the middle of February? No they don’t!

Damn it’s cold. Where are all the ducks? Where is that goose? The one that steals all of the bread you tried to give to the ducks. They are all gone dummy. It’s fucking February! Remember? Remember what? Oh, the lake. What was I looking for? Looking… for? Would you look at that? The way the water laps at the shore. The sun lies on the water like it was meant to be there. What happens to the water when the sun goes down? Does it still lap at the shore like that? Do the leaves still float like that? Does the wind still blow when the sun is gone?

What the hell do you expect to find at the bottom of this lake anyway? Salvation? That ship has sailed buddy. No lake, no childhood pleasantries can undo what has been done. This lake may have been a place of comfort once but not anymore. Memories of those warm summer days swinging from the tire swing can’t erase nothin’. Did you expect to find some kind of solace in the past? You can’t take it back! This place will not protect you! But it can make it better. Do the right thing Jake. Let’s take a swim. What’d ya say?

10 Comments:

Blogger blankfist said...

WOW! Nice fucking job, Abe! I LOVE IT! You should really consider a career writing novels, dude. There's nothing I can say that would do this story justice.

perfect 10

And if no one else sees the genius in this, then you're just being nasty.

1:03 AM  
Blogger blankfist said...

Now, let this blog DIE! DIE I SAY! DIE!

I love pissing on Crane's cornflakes. Bloop. Still, my score stands. 10. Eat it Crane. You're not gonna win another literary smackdown if I have anything to do with it!

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abe,

Enjoyed reading this. I (much to my tremendous astonishment) find myself agreeing with Hinesy in terms of the say/do aspect of being crazy. It's a tricky thing here because all our information about Jake comes directly from his point of view. The crazy things he does are absorbed only because Jake tells us he's done them. And what he does may be crazy, but for us to visualize them you're sort of forced to use language that doesn't sound that crazy at all.

It would be interesting to see how this story would work told in the third person instead of the first. If we were shown his actions instead of him telling us about what he's doing, you might achieve the same mystery of sanity that Jake is experiencing.

Maybe that could be next month's smackdown.

Score: 5.897

7:39 PM  
Blogger Miller Sturtevant said...

First, thanks for submitting this to the Smackdown. I know it’s not easy to show one’s work to others and find out what’s right and what’s wrong with it, but I think in the end it’s always worth it. It’s one of the few tried-and-true ways to improve one’s writing, so kudos. Anyway, I think your story’s interesting. You tackled this thing head-on and I think you succeed in getting across the fact that this guy’s done something bad, probably killed someone, and you get it across without being explicit about the act istself. But you may have done it too forcefully. What you’ve written is stream-of-consciousness and because this guy’s thoughts are so disjointed, and you record his thoughts so faithfully, it’s kind of a hard read. Also, you don’t inject much texture (sensory details, imagery, etc.) into this story, so it comes off, for me, as maybe more slight than you intended. You say it’s February and it’s cold, but that feeling of being cold doesn’t come across in the story. An observation of an icicle, or the effect of the cold on his skin, might help sell the fact that it’s cold. So you’ve set out not one, but two really difficult tasks for yourself. One being writing in the stream-of-consciousness form, and two trying to write someone who’s not in his right mind. I don’t get the sense from your story that the guy’s crazy. I don’t know if that’s because he is crazy and it just didn’t come across for me, or if that’s because he’s not crazy, but thinking he might be is a convenient way for him to sidestep some of the guilt he’s feeling. Anyway, I think it’s a good effort, but in the end it could be stronger. Rating: 5.1.

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't know who the judge is, but i like'm

even though it was a bit lengthy and got of the subject of the lake, i'll take it. you kept me the whole way...and that's hard to do. i don't take my meds.

again..i'm missing the lake. oh, it's there, but i want to know more about it. describe it to me. i couldn't give two shits about the guy.

is he crazy? hmm...don't know. but if i just offed somebody i might just get a little split and wacky for a while.

i'm giving ya a 5.5

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think 'blankfist' must be a 10 year old child, because the questioning style of writing seems very immature to me, and unnecessarily dramatic. Reading it feels like the writer took the easy way out.

4.8

9:19 AM  
Blogger Team Manager said...

six

9:07 PM  
Blogger Jenna said...

Crazy much?

The stream-of-consciousness narration was a great way to go. I knew he was freaking out in his own head. I think he could have been even crazier - his thoughts more bizarre. I really wanted the 'out, out, damn spot' (ref. Macbeth) kind of allusion when he wandered into the lake - something linking to cleaning the blood up (did I clean behind the toilet?)...you could go farther with that.

What is the right thing? Is 'going for a swim' a metaphor for suicide?

Final vote: 6.5

1:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Crane. I felt I was being forced around his head and subsequently, the lake. A more subtle approach, like bearing in mind and discribing the order in which your character sees details on his visit to the lake would lend itself to more of a natural discovery of character and a richer backdrop for his internal soliloquy.

The point of view approach is very tough, not only to keep fresh, but to illude to actions that the narrator has full disclosure of already. It directly bucks logic. It's not often that we consider the reprecusions of actions internally (or internally deny responsibility) without directly referencing the action itself. That said, you did very well with it, especially when making the illusions (the toilet, the swim, wondering about the lake's life at night). I was most drawn by those moments.

Overall, engaging and thoughtful. I look forward to your next month's fare.

Rating: 6

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite profound and sad. Where did the inspiration come from?

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker